Many wondered why Will Smith was allowed to stay in Oscar after slapping Chris Rock. The academy now says Smith was “asked” to leave.
Los Angeles — Wednesday’s Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Will Smith was asked to leave Sunday Oscar Ceremony After Hitting Chris Rock But he refused to do so.
The Academy’s Governor’s Association met on Wednesday and began disciplinary action against Smith for violating the Group’s Code of Conduct.Academy said Disciplinary action against Smith may include suspension, dropout, or other sanctions.
Many focus on why Smith was allowed to stay in the front row of the Dolby Theater after the incident. On Wednesday, the academy suggested that it attempted to remove the actor from the audience.
“Things unfolded in ways we couldn’t have predicted,” said the Academy. “I would like to clarify that Mr Smith was asked to leave the ceremony and was rejected, but it is possible that he could have handled the situation in a different way.”
Academy representatives refused to give details on how they tried to eliminate Smith. Several stars, including Denzel Washington, Bradley Cooper, and Tyler Perry, spoke with 53-year-old Smith after Smith struck Rock in response to a joke about his wife Jada Pinkett Smith.
The academy said Smith had the opportunity to protect himself with a written response before the board reunited on April 18.
“Mr. Smith’s actions at the 94th Academy Awards were a very shocking and traumatic event to witness directly and on television,” said the Academy. that moment. We also apologize to candidates, guests and viewers for what happened during what was supposed to be a festive event. “
on Monday, Smith apologized to Locke“I was off the line and was wrong,” he told the academy and viewers.
Smith’s representative did not immediately respond to Wednesday’s message about the Academy’s latest move.
Very few Academy members have been banished so far, including Harvey Weinstein, Roman Polanski, Bill Cosby, and actor Carmine Caridi, who was kicked out for sharing the award screener.
Whoopi Goldberg, a member of the Academy’s Governor’s Association, told The View on Monday that “we are not going to rob him of the Oscar.” (Even the Oscars acquired by the exiled members were not previously ordered to be returned.) Goldberg added, “No one is okay with what happened.”
Locke, who has not yet publicly responded to the incident, Stand up on Wednesday night in Boston..
Others on Sunday’s television broadcast also began to speak out. Her co-host Wanda Sykes told Ellen DeGeneres in a broadcast interview on April 7 that she felt sick after Smith slapped Rock. When he returned to his seat, Smith shouted to Rock twice, saying, “Don’t put my wife’s name in your (swearing) mouth.”
“I’m still a little traumatized,” Sykes said in a clip released Wednesday.
Within an hour, Smith returned to the stage and Best actor award in “Dream Plan”. Many of the Dolby Theaters gave him a standing ovation.
“I’m how gross this is? This is the wrong message. You attack someone and you are escorted from the building, and that’s it. But to keep him going, I I thought it was terrible, “Sykes said. ‘”
Academy: Smith refuses to leave Oscar after Chris Rock slaps
Source link Academy: Smith refuses to leave Oscar after Chris Rock slaps