Indianapolis, Indiana (WOWO): Justice Secretary Todd Rokita has filed a proceeding against an Indiana company allegedly serving as the gateway to the United States for RoboCallers in India, the Philippines and Singapore.
The company’s Startel Communication LLC was owned and operated by Wanda Hall and Abhijit Chowdhury, an Indian citizen, in Evansville.
These RoboCallers are said to have made more than 4.8 million calls to Hoosiers and hundreds of millions of calls to other states throughout the United States. RoboCaller reportedly manipulated a variety of scams, including IRS and Social Security Agency scams, legal action and arrest scams, computer support scams, Apple support scams, and Amazon subscription scams.
“Fusher is tired of suffering from illegal and unwanted Robocall, and Kathy and I are the two,” said Attorney General Rokita. “As I promised, we will continue our efforts to protect Indiana consumers and bring them to justice.”
The proceedings are part of a crackdown on providers that Attorney General Rokita is deliberately benefiting from Robocall. The investigation began with some consumer complaints and took more than a year to complete.
The proceedings also include two companies in California. Piratel LLC, which routed 3.1 million robocalls, and VoIP Essential LLC, which routed 1.5 million robocalls. Both companies are aware that Startel is sending Robocalls and have been paid more than $ 100,000 each to take a different view.
Of the Hoosiers called, more than 780,000 were on the Federal Do Not Call Registry and more than 605,000 were on the Indiana Do Not Call list.
The proceedings allege that businesses and individuals have violated millions of federal and Indiana laws and could be fined billions.
Attorney General Rokita offers the following tips to avoid fraud and nuisance calls.
- Beware of callers who specifically require you to pay with a gift card or cryptocurrency (bitcoin). For example, the IRS does not accept iTunes gift cards.
- Beware of unexpected pre-recorded calls from government agencies. Normally, the IRS and SSA do not call people.
- If you suspect fraudulent activity, please end the call without providing any personal information.
- Please contact the Consumer Protection Department at 1-888-834-9969 or do email@example.com.
- Add your number to the Indiana phone ban list with https://www.indonotcall.org/
- Submit a phone or text message complaint here: https://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/consumer-protection-division/file-a-complaint/do-not-calltext-complaint/
Attorney General Todd Rokita files a lawsuit against Robocall company-WOWO 1190 AM
Source link Attorney General Todd Rokita files a lawsuit against Robocall company-WOWO 1190 AM