Ever since online casinos became a thing, there’s always been a debate about whether they are better than land-based casinos. And punters have been forthcoming with their views on the same. Some are adamant that land-based casinos are the real thing. Of course, most of these diehards were gambling even before internet gambling was popular. Then some punters are all about online casinos. Why make the commute if you can gamble on the go? And as you may have already guessed, most of the gamblers of this opinion are entrants in the industry. Don’t get this wrong, though – even pro gamblers have taken to internet gambling. So, to come across all these conflicting views on what’s better can have you on the fence. Should you embrace online gambling, or should you dress up, grab a drink, and head to the casino?
While these casinos seem to have cropped up in the last decade, they have been around for much longer. Historical data proves that people could gamble online from as early as the 1990s. Now that more people have access to the internet, it seems like international casinos online are new. And of course, it helps that most people now have access to smartphones, which are the main tools of trade in accessing online casinos.
Online casinos come in many forms. The premise is simple – availing casino games to the audience through technology. So, whether it’s a desktop browser, mobile web browser, mobile app, AI, or any other emerging technology, the game is online. That means that as long as you have a stable internet connection and a smart device, you are good to go.
What Are the Perks?
You probably know a few of these off the top of your head. So, let’s get to it:
- The Bonuses: Have you come across any online casino that does not offer a bonus? These sites are in stiff competition– the industry is purely cutthroat. It does not matter if you’ve been in the game for a year or decades. If you’re not offering your players a bonus, they will go elsewhere. So, casinos are always offering some enticements in the form of signup offers, ongoing promotions, and loyalty programs. As a player, you get to spend less money on the games, increasing your winnings!
- A Wide Variety of Games: How many games can a land-based casino hold at once? If you’re talking about the large establishments in Vegas and Macau, we can talk of hundreds. And while that may seem like a fantastic array, you can get a much better selection from an online casino. One casino can offer as many as thousands of games filled with variations. So, suppose you want to play roulette; you can find any variation you want. Of course, this added variation gives you access to better winnings. And at the end of the day, we all want those extra bucks, don’t we?
- Convenience: You might argue that this should have been the first point. After all, most people resort to playing on their phones because they can do it at any time. It does not matter where they are. As long as they can connect to the internet, they have an avenue to wager some money. It’s propelled online casinos to top tiers, more so where a gaming provider also offers an app.
- No Restrictions: Have you ever been to a land-based casino? If yes, then you know that the dealers restrict the number of players at a time. You might even have to wait your turn. You can imagine how annoying it would be to hold onto a wager because someone has been playing the slots for an hour. But with online casinos, the systems can handle as many players as it gets. Imagine how easy it is to get a wager in and wait for that win with no cap on the number of players.
- Free Games: Most casinos will offer you a chance to play for no money. It can be in the form of free spins, a demo account, free tries in a game, etc. As a result, you can even practice playing until you are confident about your skills. And newbies often need this before they can wager real money. But which land-based casino would afford you such a perk? You must use actual cash even to get your foot in the door.
- Customization: Some people wager so much money that they end up going broke. We have heard of people who have wagered their houses, cars, and even spouses. So, if you know that you tend to go overboard, you can always use the systems in place to help you get a hold of yourself. You can limit the time and money spent online wagering. And that’s another fantastic advantage about online gambling – it allows you to exercise accountability over your actions.
Oh, and online casinos accept almost any kind of currency. Suppose you would rather keep your data to yourself; you can even pay for wagers using crypto and receive it in the same form!
What Are the Disadvantages?
Online gambling seems to be the real deal when placing wagers. Does it have any downsides? Unfortunately, yes!
- Solitude: If you enjoy the feel of having people around you as you try your luck, online gambling can be a bit of a snore. Sure, the gaming providers try to create the feel of an actual casino with visuals and audio. But without people cheering you on as you play, you might feel that the experience is quite lacking.
- Reliance on the Internet: We have mentioned that the internet is the building block of this gaming experience. So, if it goes off at any moment, there goes your winning chance! It’s not often that this happens, but if your internet is unstable, who knows what could happen?
Of course, there’s also the issue of scammers – so many fake sites have come up in the wake of the rising gaming popularity. So, you must have an eye out for any red flags.
These casinos have been around for ages, offering a gaming experience alongside drinks, food, and entertainment. Their all-around experience makes them a favorite to most people who want it all – not just the gaming.
Why would anyone want to dress up and show up to an actual casino?
- Socializing: Some people are not just in it to make money. They also enjoy the setup – getting to meet other people, cheering them on, chatting, and just having fun. So, for them, gaming is just a part of it.
- Entertainment: These casinos also offer fully stocked bars, buffets, and bands. As you gamble, you also get to liven up a little as you sway to the feel of the music. Most of them even offer accommodation. So, you can gamble, enjoy the hotel facilities, and head to your room when you get tired.
- In-Person Guides: If you have no idea how to play a game, you can find someone to walk you through it one-on-one. It trumps getting your advice from a machine.
Most of these establishments offer something for those who do not enjoy gambling. Thus, if you want a setting that has something for everyone in your team, this would be ideal.
These casinos have lost a bit of their touch in the years. Why?
- Few Games: While most casinos try to update their software and include the latest releases, they cannot keep up with online providers. So, gamblers who want a large variety cannot count on them to satisfy this need.
- Costs: With online gaming, you log in to your account and place a wager when you are ready. But land-based casinos come with extra expenses – the commute, the buy-in, the tips, drinks, etc. In the end, you spend quite a chunk of cash.
- Bans: Most countries don’t allow gaming, so some people cannot access such establishments. Also, they restrict the number of people who can play at a time.
It’s also important to note that you can’t play several games simultaneously like you can with online games.
What’s the Better Choice?
It all depends on why you want to gamble. Those who are purely in it for cash may prefer online settings to save money and cash in on bonuses. But if you are all about the experience, then using a land-based setup might be the best option. You get to make some money and still have some fun.